This goes against what is usually recommended for SEO and driving traffic to a blog. But writing shorter blog posts more regularly has certain advantages:
- It requires a lot less time to write blog posts. Writing a long-form post takes at least 3 – 5 hours, sometimes even more, and that time is often hard to find.
- Writing short posts is perfect for building an atomic habit for writing long-form essays or even entire books later on.
- It requires less activation energy to start writing: It’s just gonna be a short post. You don’t waste time thinking about whether you got ‘enough material’ to write an entire blog post. Just do it.
- You can cover many more different topics shortly than writing a long-form post for each and every topic.
- The burden of translating your post into a different language is less. This is significant since I decided to translate all of my posts into German (which works well, thanks DeepL).
There may definitely be disadvantages, not only for SEO but also with respect to completeness, timelessness, and total value received from a blog post. But ultimately, it won’t hurt to optimize the value per word and make blog posts not longer than necessary.
I am going to publish long-form essays on my personal website www.benjaminwolba.com